DVD FAQ Changes and Obsolete Entries
- 2008-01-04: New question:
[3.13.1] Which will win, Blu-ray or HD DVD?
- 2007-12-10: New question:
[2.18] Will DVD players stop working in the U.S. in 2009?
- 2007-12-10: Updated info on HD formats.
(2.12 and 3.13)
- 2007-07-30: New question:
[5.8.1] How do I put other data files on a DVD I make?
- 2007-01-24: Samsung joined 6C patent licensing group.
- 2007-01-09: Revised section on labels. Thin, light labels
are generally ok.
to Barbara for new testing and technical
- 2006-11-15: More things to check when picture is black
- 2006-09-12: More on disc write speeds.
- 2006-06-29: More info on DVD recorders, including lack of
- 2006-06-29: Minor updates on transferring video to DVD.
- 2006-05-23: New question:
[1.54] Why does a little camera sometimes pop up on the
- 2006-05-19: Note about IBM selling DVD patents to
- 2006-04-17: Updated license fees (and dropped IBM from 6C
- 2005-12-29: More products that can play/import -VR format.
- 2005-12-20: Updated info on combo drives.
- 2005-12-11: Fixed infinite loop where 5,10 referred to itself.
- 2005-12-06: Renamed "DVD Production" section to "DVD Creation" (5)
- 2005-12-04: More about adhesive paper labels. Link to
templates for printing. (1.44)
- 2005-12-03: Changed 4.3.10 to "When will
dual-layer rewritable DVDs be available?"
- 2005-11-21: Refer to "next-generation" DVD instead of "HD DVD." (3.13)
- 2005-11-15: Note about recording DVDs in NTSC or PAL format. (5.8)
- 2005-11-13: New question:
[1.53] Will x-rays hurt DVDs?
- 2005-10-13: Changed title of 5.1. Updated CD and DVD
replication prices. (5.1)
- 2005-10-13: Attempted to catch up on latest products and
company acquisitions. (5.2, 5.4)
- 2005-09-26: More on reading -VR format and .VRO files (renamed
- 2005-09-18: More about letterboxed video on widescreen TVs. (1.38)
- 2005-09-09: Clarifications on DVDs playing in black and white
or tinted. (1.33)
- 2005-09-07: More pointers to ECMA standards. (4.3.2,
4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5)
- 2005-09-06: New question (renumbered old 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168):
[22.214.171.124] What are the DVD-RAM cartridge types?
- 2005-08-29: Updated info about copying discs, including
dual-layer discs. (5.9)
- 2005-07-28: Noted that 6C ("six company") group now has nine
companies in it. (6.1)
- 2005-06-03: Format unification talks still underway. (6.5)
- 2005-06-03: Dolby TrueHD. (6.5).
- 2005-05-05: LightScribe in-drive labeling feature (1.44).
- 2005-05-05: Info about laser focus change during layer switch (1.18
- 2005-04-26: New question:
[3.3.2] What's a MiniDVD?
- 2005-04-21: BD and HD DVD formats may be unified (6.5).
- 2005-04-11: Updated link to Adam Barrat's DTS/Dolby info (3.6.2).
- 2005-04-05: Grammar correction (2.4.12).
- 2005-04-04: Link to VideoETA for upcoming release info (1.6.2).
- 2005-03-04: Reduced royalty fees from 6C (6.1).
- 2005-01-04: Updated statistics on number of DVD titles
- 2004-11-15: Note about VMD (6.5).
- 2004-11-15: Minor corrections to CSS section (1.11).
- 2004-11-01: Over 40,000 DVD titles are now available (1.6).
- 2004-10-23: Updated info on next-gen formats (3.13).
- 2004-10-23: Improved PAL/NTSC information. List of major
countries/regions and link to a list at remoteviewing.com (1.19).
- 2004-10-22: Link DVDEnFrancais (6.4.5).
- 2004-09-13: Link to list of film transfer services at
- 2004-09-05: Note about problems from multiple DVD players
- 2004-09-03: New German translation (0.1).
- 2004-08-29: New question:
[4.3.11] What does 2x, 4x, 16x, and so on mean on recordable
discs, and which one should I use?
- 2004-08-29: Updated info on DVD writing speeds (4.2).
- 2004-08-16: New question:
[1.12.1] What's the difference between DVD-Audio discs and
- 2004-08-16: Renamed 1.12 to "What about music on DVD:
DVD-Audio and SACD?"
- 2004-08-13: Added DTS to list of licensors (6.1).
- 2004-07-27: Updated DVD release stats (1.6).
- 2004-07-27: Latest guidelines on logo licensing (6.1).
- 2004-07-23: Updated licensing fees (6.1).
- 2004-07-19: A bit more info on HDMI for digital audio output (3.1).
- 2004-07-01: Note about poorly mixed dialog tracks (3.6.5).
- 2004-05-26: Updated licensing info (6.1).
- 2004-04-26: Clarified encoding of progressive vs. interlaced
- 2004-04-16: Fixed dozens of outdated links, removed dozens of
- 2004-04-16: Defined NBCA (3.11).
- 2004-04-15: Minor revisions and updated links on longevity
- 2004-04-14: New question:
[3.6.5] Why is the dialog hard to hear?
- 2004-04-14: Additions to 2-channel audio hookup instructions (3.2).
- 2004-03-21: Added disc write time column to table of drive
- 2004-03-21: New information on HD formats (3.13).
- 2004-03-21: Minor additions to D-VHS info (2.17).
- 2004-03-17: Revised 1.27 and renamed it to
"Why does playback sometimes freeze for a second?"
- 2004-02-22: Links to the Laserdisc Database (2.6
- 2004-02-15: Link to Robert's DVD Info pages at their new home (6.4.1).
- 2004-02-09: Removed CopyLeft T-shirt link since the site is
apparently taking orders but not fulfilling them (4.8).
- 2004-02-07: Removed dead link and added Widescreen Museum link (3.5).
- 2004-02-07: Pointer to DVDRHelp.com to find players that can
play MP3 DVDs (2.4.12).
- 2004-02-07: Listed more optional features (MP3 DVDs, DivX,
- 2004-01-24: Link to DVD compatibility report (4.3.1).
- 2004-01-24: Link to NIST guides to disc care (1.39).
- 2004-01-24: Updates on DivX, 3ivx, and XviD (2.10).
- 2004-01-24: A few updates to "laser rot" section (1.24).
- 2004-01-24: Added a little historical context to laserdisc
- 2004-01-23: A bit more on video and audio problems. (3.2.2)
- 2004-01-13: Link to new French translation. (0.1)
- 2004-01-12: Added note about recordable incompatibility to
playback problems. (1.41)
- 2003-12-21: More on DVD copying, including links to copying
- 2003-12-13: New question (and renumbered old 4.3.6 through
[4.3.6] Which recordable DVD format should I buy?
- 2003-12-13: Slightly renamed section 0.3
and added brief bio.
- 2003-12-06: Correct billions of bytes figure for 74-min CD
capacity. Added 80-min CD capacity. (3.3)
- 2003-11-18: More on HD-DVD and EVD. (6.5)
- 2003-11-12: Updated CSS license fee. (1.11
- 2003-10-10: Dual-layer recordable announced and demonstrated. (4.3.9)
- 2003-09-22: New question:
[4.3.9] When will dual-layer recordable DVDs be available?
- 2003-09-17: Expanded and renamed section on DVD replacing CD. (2.2)
- 2003-09-09: Minor addition of information about early DVD
- 2003-09-09: Removed link to Eric's drive page (information no
longer there). (4.1)
- 2003-09-08: Mentioned that players can be modified to turn off
- 2003-09-07: Removed dead link to Robert's DVD info (6.4.1)
and region map (1.10).
- 2003-09-05: More info on longevity of different recordable
- 2003-09-05: Corrected DTV frame rate typo (20 should have been
- 2003-09-03: New question:
[1.52] Can my DVD player get a virus?
- 2003-08-31: Minor updates to DVD recorder info. (1.14)
- 2003-08-27: Note about Forum vote on AOD. (6.5)
- 2003-08-26: Updates and additions to authoring software. (5.4)
- 2003-08-24: Corrected sampling rate for DSD (3.6.1)
- 2003-08-03: Two more meanings of "hybrid." (1.31)
- 2003-08-03: Updated UDF utility links from Adaptec to Roxio. (4.1)
- 2003-07-12: Note about necessity of DVD authoring software. (5.8)
- 2003-07-11: New question:
[4.3.8] Which color of recordable DVD is best?
- 2003-07-02: Effect of light and sunlight on DVDs. (1.39)
- 2003-07-01: Updated link to Curse-Free TV. (1.42)
- 2003-06-30: Removed dead mirror sites, added DVDAnswers as
official UK mirror. (0)
- 2003-06-12: Corrected DTS-ES/Neo:6 mixup. (3.6.2)
- 2003-06-09: Reworked more sections, including
1.40, 3.4, 3.6.1,
3.6.2, 3.7, 4.1,
4.3 (and subsections), 4.6, 5,
5.8, and 6.5.
- 2003-06-09: New question (moved out of 3.6.2):
[3.6.4] Why is the audio level from my DVD player so low?
- 2003-06-08: Minor revisions to VHS vs. DVD section. (1.16)
- 2003-05-04: Reworked more sections, including 3.1,
3.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.1.
- 2003-06-01: More on WebDVD. (2.15)
- 2003-05-28: New question:
[5.13] How do I put a PowerPoint presentation on DVD?
- 2003-05-22: Found a copy of the French translation. (0.1)
- 2003-05-21: Blockbuster reversed policy and now prefers
- 2003-05-05: New question:
[4.2.1] What is the audio output connector on a DVD drive
- 2003-05-04: Reworked more sections, including 3.1 and
- 2003-04-28: Reworked many sections, including 1.1,
- 2003-04-24: Listed default parental control passwords. (1.51)
- 2003-04-17: Updated section on disadvantages (there are fewer
than there used to be). (1.4)
- 2003-04-16: New question: (renumbered old 1.6.3 and 1.6.4)
[1.6.3] Why isn't my favorite movie on DVD?
- 2003-03-17: Minor revisions to DVD-audio info. (1.5
- 2003-03-15: More on copying audio from DVDs. (4.13)
- 2003-02-27: Pioneer still makes combo LD/DVD players. (2.5)
- 2003-02-26: More about why copying DVDs doesn't always work. (5.9)
- 2003-02-24: Minor revisions to explanation of region codes. (1.10)
- 2003-02-24: More suggestions on choosing a player. (1.5.1)
- 2003-02-04: Added Video CD royalties. (6.1)
- 2003-02-04: Updates on laser rot and link to another detailed
user report. (1.24)
- 2003-01-31: Minor additions on use of labels. (1.44)
- 2003-01-28: Mentioned software to convert between PAL and
- 2003-01-04: Corrections on low data rate vs. high data rate
(text was inverted). (4.3.7)
- 2002-12-17: Updated production costs. (5.1)
- 2002-12-17: More on aspect ratio issues between
progressive-scan players and TVs. (1.40)
- 2002-11-18: Emphasized that regions don't apply to DVD-Audio
or recordable DVD. (1.10)
- 2002-11-16: Explained a bit better what a pressed disc is. (5)
- 2002-11-14: Note about DVD-R/RW lead-out writing time. (4.3.7)
- 2002-11-13: Updated Nuon section to better reflect its demise.
- 2002-11-07: Updated section on DVD recorders replacing VCRs. (2.1)
- 2002-10-29: Noted the demise of C3D. (2.13)
- 2002-10-21: New questions:
[1.51] I don't know the parental control password for my
player. What do I do?
[4.3.7] How long does DVD recording take?
- 2002-10-19: Added HDMI info to DTCP section and HDTV section.
(1.11 and 2.9)
- 2002-10-10: Updates to recordable DVD info and link to
CustomFlix's DVD-R compatibility chart. (1.14,
4.3, and 4.3.1)
- 2002-10-10: Got around to including minor detail that
encrypted files can be copied if disc is authenticated. (4.5)
- 2002-10-04: Finally, DVD-Audio can be played on a PC. (4.1.1)
- 2002-10-04: Updated laserdisc section to admit that it's
completely dead. (2.6)
- 2002-10-04: More on DVD and HDTV. (2.9)
- 2002-10-04: Newer players can read Picture CDs and Photo CDs.
- 2002-10-04: Got around to mentioning that most new DVD burners
can write CD-R/RW. (2.4.3 and 2.4.4)
- 2002-10-01: Updated links to MSWebDVD docs. Addition of link
to MSVidWebDVD. (4.9)
- 2002-10-01: Updated section on DVD video recorders. (1.14)
- 2002-09-30: Updated link to Joe Clark's DVD accessibility
- 2002-09-29: 1394 digital audio output now available. (3.1
- 2002-09-27: Additional info on user operation control. (3.7)
- 2002-09-16: Updated description of DivX, moved from
4.8 to 2.10.
- 2002-09-14: More on using zoom feature to "home pan and scan"
widescreen discs. (1.38)
- 2002-09-12: New question:
[5.12] How can I sell DVDs that I made?
- 2002-09-11: Panasonic Blu-ray variation not confirmed. (6.5)
- 2002-08-26: More candidates for HD-DVD. More Blu-ray tech
- 2002-08-15: Links to Kodak disc longevity info. (3.12)
- 2002-07-26: Nuon Semiconductor closed down. (2.16)
- 2002-07-22: Note on copying DVD-9s. (5.9)
- 2002-07-12: Link to The Simpsons' DVD Q&A. (0.2)
- 2002-07-12: New company marketing Nuon chips. (2.16)
- 2002-07-10: A few 2001 stats and projections. (1.9)
- 2002-07-07: Minor revisions to feature section. Removed Divx
playback from list. (1.2)
- 2002-07-03: Additions to hookup section. (3.2)
- 2002-06-27: Link to Jukka Aho's Quick Guide to Digital Video
Resolution and Aspect Ratio Conversions. (3.5)
- 2002-06-22: Link to DVD-Video Information page for format
- 2002-06-21: New 3-cm disc demo from Philips. (6.5)
- 2002-06-14: Updated .VOB explanation, added .VRO info. (4.10)
- 2002-06-09: Link to DVD Direct DVD authoring system comparison
- 2002-06-04: Removed defunct DVDArtist link. (5.10)
- 2002-06-03: Hungarian translation available. (0.1)
- 2002-05-14: New question:
[5.9] How can I copy a DVD?
(Renumbered old 5.9 and 5.10 to make room, changed 1.11.1 to
- 2002-05-14: More updates on making your own DVDs. (5.8)
- 2002-05-03: Updated DVD+RW info. (4.3.5)
- 2002-05-01: Updated MP3 section to reflect growing number of
MP3-capable players. (2.4.12)
- 2002-04-30: Standards-converting players can't handle
anamorphic conversion. (1.22 and 1.19)
- 2002-04-30: Updated link to The Widescreen Movie Center. (3.5)
- 2002-04-29: Revamped list of DVD databases. (1.6
- 2002-04-29: Improved list of sources for price searches and
coupons (1.8, moved from 6.3)
- 2002-04-28: Updated InterActual (PCFriendly) links (1.41)
- 2002-03-31: Laserviews Web site defunct. Link to list of
anamorphic titles at Widescreen Review instead (3.5)
- 2002-03-18: Refined compatibility chart. (4.3.1)
- 2002-03-15: VM Labs Nuon technology sold to Genesis in
- 2002-03-10: New question:
[6.5] What's new with DVD technology?
- 2002-02-07: Definition of title. More information about
number of titles available. (1.6)
- 2002-02-03: Suggestion to use zoom feature to get rid of
letterbox bars. (1.38)
- 2002-02-02: New question:
[6.3.1] Where can I buy blank recordable DVDs?
- 2002-01-21: New questions:
[1.6.3] How can I find DVDs with specific features or
characteristics? (modified 1.6 accordingly)
[1.6.4] Why do some rental stores not carry widescreen DVDs?
[4.12] I upgraded to Windows XP, why did my DVD software stop
working? (renumbered old 4.12 to 4.13)
- 2002-01-21: A bit more info on DTS and Dolby Digital tracks. (1.23
- 2002-01-14: New question:
[4.1.1] Can I play DVD-Audio discs on my computer?
- 2002-01-05: Updates on DVD playback in Windows. (4.1)
- 2002-01-02: Suggestions about discs suspected of
- 2002-01-02: New question:
[1.50] What are Superbit, Infinifilm, and other variations of
- 2002-01-01: Notes about label adhesive deterioration and disc
- 01-12-26: Minor revisions to section on video and audio
hookup. Note about setting TV to aux input. (3.2)
- 01-12-23: Link to Joe Clark's DVD Accessibility page. (1.45)
- 01-12-19: Lots of revisions and updates on making your own
- 01-11-28: New question:
[1.49] What do Sensormatic and Checkpoint mean?
- 01-11-26: Added heading numbers to recordable media sections.
- 01-11-26: Moved longevity section from 4.3.1 to
- 01-11-26: New question:
[126.96.36.199] How do I remove a DVD-RAM type 2 disc from the
- 01-11-25: New questions:
[1.11.1] What's with those "Copy any DVD" e-mails?
[4.12] How can I rip audio from a DVD to play as MP3 or burn
to a CD?
- 01-11-25: Expanded links to more information on DVD. (6.4)
- 01-11-25: At least a few players can play Photo CDs. (2.4.7)
- 01-11-25: Revised links to other web sites. (1.11
- 01-11-24: More on DVD-Audio titles and players. (1.5,
1.6 and 1.12)
- 01-11-15: Link to list of Philips/Pioneer/Sony DVD patents. (6.1)
- 01-11-03: Movies on PAL discs take more space. (3.4
- 01-11-03: Link to new location of updated version of Adam
Barratt's DTS article. (3.6.2)
- 01-11-01: Updates to DVD-R/RW and DVD+RW info. (4.3)
- 01-10-10: Correction: DVD-RAM/R drives don't write to CD-R/RW.
- 01-10-07: Minor revisions of watermarking information. (1.11
- 01-10-04: Added an analogy to help explain why a 4.7-GB file
doesn't fit on a 4.7-GB disc. (7.2)
- 01-10-03: A few additions and link updates to Macrovision and
CGMS sections. (1.11)
- 01-09-30: Minor changes to section on writing DVD-Video files
to CD. (5.7)
- 01-09-19: CyberLink Linux DVD player available to OEMs only. (4.1)
- 01-09-01: Link to John Beale's writeup on making DVDs on a PC.
- 01-09-01: Link to DVD-R/-RW/+RW compatibility list at VCDHelp.
- 01-08-25: Finally got around to listing unpadded DTS rates
(754 and 1509). (3.6.2)
- 01-08-24: Details on Divx expiration (July 7). (2.10)
- 01-08-20: A few details on HP's upcoming DVD+RW drives. (4.3)
- 01-08-20: Link to DVDRegionX for PS2 region mods. (1.10)
- 01-08-16: Note about TBCs removing Macrovision and CMGS/A. (1.11)
- 01-08-07: A bit more about the first DVD's. (1.6)
- 01-08-07: Links to new Web sites about customized playback (SelectViewing
and Viewer Freedom). (1.42)
- 01-07-26: A few more forecasts. (1.9)
- 01-07-25: Info on writing to DVD-RW in Apple Superdrive. (4.3)
- 01-07-20: Link to list of ISF-recommended DVDs at Films on Disc. (1.48)
- 01-07-19: New location of Russian translation of the DVD FAQ. (0.1)
- 01-07-19: Minor improvements to audio explanation. (3.6.3)
- 01-07-19: Added BinaryFlix and DVD Verdict to review list. Raised listing
requirement to 800 reviews. (1.6.1)
- 01-07-18: Minor changes to explanations of regions and NTSC vs. PAL. (1.10
- 01-07-08: Removed link to letterbox explanation at Widescreen Cinema
(pages removed). (1.38)
- 01-07-06: Further explanation of CPPM and CPRM. New section on HDCP. (1.11)
- 01-07-06: Explanation of the three types of DVD-RW discs. Link to another
DVD+RW info site. (4.3)
- 01-07-06: A bit more about audio sync problems, plus a link to Michael D's
page with many more details. (1.35)
- 01-07-05: Updated info on creating your own DVDs (now possible for under
- 01-07-02: Removed link to Laserviews (site is defunct). (1.6.2)
- 01-06-22: New location of Japanese translation of the DVD FAQ. (0.1)
- 01-06-22: Better compatibility of DVD-R(A) 3.95G discs. (4.3)
- 01-06-18: A bit more about RCE discs. Link to more RCE info at DVDTalk. (1.10)
- 01-06-18: Explanation of SECAM TVs accepting PAL signals. (1.19)
- 01-06-11: More details of ever-confusing recordable DVD formats. (4.3)
- 01-06-11: A few updates on prices for creating your own DVDs. Link to
- 01-06-06: Minor update on DVD-Audio. (1.12)
- 01-06-04: Player statistics for Europe. (1.9)
- 01-06-01: Panasonic DVD-R/RAM drive. (4.3)
- 01-05-21: A bit of DVD+R info. (4.3)
- 01-05-14: Minor clarifications on interlaced video and 2-3 pulldown. (3.8)
- 01-05-14: List of all allowed picture resolutions. (3.4)
- 01-05-08: New question: [1.48] Are there discs to help me
test and optimize my video system?
- 01-05-08: Removed broken link to rental list at DVD Post. (6.3)
- 01-04-26: Updated info on playing DVD in IE, PowerPoint, etc. Incorporated
- 01-04-26: New link to FlikFX (which is a clever joke, by the way). (1.38)
- 01-04-20: Removed HDHDDVD section, which was an April Fool's joke.
- 01-04-20: Added note that dirty/scratched discs can cause playback
- 01-04-20: Clarified that PS2 game region locking is different from DVD
- 01-04-16: Anti-letterboxing (letterschlocking) page is gone. Removed links
to it and to rebuttal. (1.38)
- 01-04-13: Software players for Linux/Unix/etc. (4.1)
- 01-04-13: VideoLan project for playing DVD over a network. (4.7)
- 01-04-03: Corrected Fahrenheit temperature variation value. (1.39)
- 01-04-01: Not all DVD players reproduce Closed Captions. (1.45)
- 01-03-29: Link to DVD-R compatibility list at DVDMadeEasy. (4.3)
- 01-03-28: DocDVD changed to DVDPhD. (0 and
- 01-03-27: Region codes apply to PlayStation 2 and Xbox. (1.10)
- 01-03-26: Clarified that MicroUDF is part of UDF 1.02. (4.2
- 01-03-16: A few more DVD review sites. (1.6.1)
- 01-03-13: Minor updates on SACD (dual-format discs are available). (1.12
- 01-03-13: Corrected release date of Pioneer DVR-A03. (This year, not last
- 01-03-12: More players with SDI output. (3.1)
- 01-03-09: CGMS/A can be on NTSC line 20 or 21. (1.11)
- 01-03-02: Mac OS X doesn't support DVD. (4.1)
- 01-02-15: DLT utilities. (5.3.3)
- 01-02-12: Links to a few more sources of DVD player reviews and buying
- 01-02-12: Revised solution to get problem Disney discs to play on Philips
- 01-02-10: Minor revisions of region info. More links to other sites. Note
about NASA putting multiregion DVD players in space. (1.10)
- 01-02-10: New links to a few good DVD sites. (6.4)
- 01-02-10: Link to Samsung 709 FAQ. (1.41)
- 01-02-09: New question: [2.15] What's WebDVD?
- 01-02-09: Info on authoring mistakes in Dinosaur and Disney's
The Kid. Solution to get disc to play on Philips player. (1.41)
- 01-02-09: Note about submitting DVD-Rs for replication. (4.3)
- 01-02-09: Revised heading for section 3.
- 01-02-03: New question: [3.6.3] Can you explain all this
Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS stuff in English?
- 01-02-03: Minor improvements to explanation of making Dolby Digital and
DTS connections. (3.2)
- 01-02-02: Info about new DVD-R(G) drive from Pioneer. (4.3)
- 01-02-01: Lots of reports of problems with Disney's The Kid and
- 01-02-01: Link to user reviews of players at Audio Review. (1.5.1)
- 01-01-26: Partial translation of the DVD FAQ to Turkish is now available.
- 01-01-19: Renamed section: [1.9] How is DVD doing? Where
can I get statistics? Added links to sources of statistics and forecasts.
- 01-01-19: More info on scan converters and display resolutions, plus links
to PC-to-TV scan converter manufacturers. (4.1)
- 01-01-19: Added Sony PS2 to list of players reported to have lip sync
- 01-01-18: Updated discussions of progressive scan, links to articles at
Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity. (1.40 and
- 01-01-17: Another settop player that can play cDVDs, and a link to
robshot's site for more info. (5.7)
- 01-01-17: Clarified that European SCART connectors use
4-signal RGBS video, and that some players have RGBHV outputs. (3.1)
- 01-01-17: Yet more "definitions" of generations of DVD
- 01-01-14: Clarified a few details of playing DVDs over a
- 01-01-14: More about screen capture and hardware acceleration.
- 01-01-09: New DVD authoring tools from Apple
(resurrected Astarte software) (5.4)
- 01-01-08: New question: [2.14] How does MPEG-4
- 01-01-08: A bit more about DivX;-), 3ivx, etc. (4.8)
- 01-01-07: One more suggestion for recovering from DMA problems
with AMD CPU. (4.6)
- 00-12-15: Link to DVD-R compatibility list at HomeMovie.com. (4.3)
- 00-12-14: Clarified that APS (Macrovision) affects video, not
- 00-11-30: Minor improvements to explanation of NTSC vs. PAL on
- 00-11-29: Links to schools with DVD production courses. (5.10)
- 00-11-27: New question: [1.47] What's firmware and why
would I need to upgrade it?
- 00-11-06: Finally, two settop players that can play miniDVDs. (5.7)
- 00-11-06: A bit more information about region codes and RCE. (1.10)
- 00-11-06: Advice about writing on discs with marker. (1.44)
- 00-10-25: Minor updates to average data rates (to account for current
practices) and capacities (truncating hundredths instead of rounding). (1.3
- 00-10-25: SMC players can play PAL discs for NTSC display. (1.19)
- 00-10-22: Info about region code enhancement (RCE/REA) check. (1.10)
- 00-10-22: Minor clarifications to video and widescreen sections. (3.4
- 00-09-27: Steps to deal with problems when playing discs. (1.41)
- 00-09-15: Link to UK DVD info site: DVDLink; France DVD info site:
- 00-08-26: Link to Digital Audio Guide for DVD-Audio info. (1.12)
- 00-08-23: Max of 99 still images per track in DVD-Audio. (3.6.1)
- 00-08-15: Terapin Video CD recorder. (5.8)
- 00-08-10: Link to German DVD info site: DVD-Inside. (6.4)
- 00-08-09: Note about running 16:9 video to standard TV to remove
- 00-08-01: Minor revisions regarding dual layers. (1.18)
- 00-08-01: Link to Function Communications DVD player with SDI output. (3.1)
- 00-07-29: Link to different (up-to-date)
uk.media.dvd FAQ. (1.5
- 00-07-29: New question: [1.46] What do the "D" codes on
region 2 DVDs mean? (Thanks to Pablo for
finding this in the uk.media.dvd FAQ.)
- 00-07-28: New question: [3.11] What is BCA?
- 00-07-28: Link to DVD players and DVD-ROM drives at CNET. (1.5)
- 00-07-28: More on copy protection, including CPSA, CPPM, and CPRM. (1.11)
- 00-07-27: Tech details on differences between DVD-R general and authoring
- 00-07-27: DivX Deux under development. (4.8)
- 00-07-20: New question: [4.11] How do I get the Microsoft
Windows DVD player application to run?
- 00-07-13: Storage temperature for discs. (1.39)
- 00-07-12: New question: [4.3.1] How long do DVDs last?
(Information consolidated here from other parts of
- 00-07-12: Additions and major revisions to writable DVD section, including
compatibility table. (4.3)
- 00-07-10: Minor changes and additions to feature lists. (1.2)
- 00-07-03: Korean translation available at
DVD Prime. (0.1)
- 00-06-23: More info about hardware acceleration in graphics cards. (4.1)
- 00-06-21: Link to region 1 & 2 database at 7th Zone. (1.6)
Now if they would just fix mistakes like the
non-existent "DVD 4" format.
- 00-06-17: Volume and file size limits in older versions of Windows. (3.3)
- 00-06-16: Note explaining how smart discs check regions. (1.10)
Since some people don't believe it's possible.
- 00-06-14: A few new predictions and stats. (1.9)
- 00-06-14: Note about verification slowing write speed in writable drives.
- 00-06-13: New questions:
[0.4] How big is this thing?
[3.4.1] What does "lines of resolution" mean?
- 00-06-11: A few corrections and additions to Divx section, plus a link to
the Divx Owners Association. (2.10)
- 00-06-10: New question: [1.45] What's the difference
between Closed Captions and subtitles?
- 00-06-10: Link to Anthony Haukap's FAQ: How To Adjust a TV. (3.2.2)
- 00-06-10: C3D announces 25GB FMDs that could be readable by new DVD
- 00-06-09: Note about Divx the ripper being different from Divx the
defunct. (2.10 and 4.8)
- 00-06-09: Improved explanation of hooking DVD player to an old TV with RF
- 00-06-06: DVD-Audio buffer holds more than 16 images. (3.6.1)
- 00-05-31: New question: [5.10] Where can I get DVD
- 00-05-22: New section: [5.3.4] Other production services.
(Also revised heading for 5.3 and 5.4.)
- 00-05-22: Links to services for transferring video to DVD. (5.8)
- 00-05-22: Link to multipathmovies.com. (1.42)
- 00-05-21: Link to David Lockwood's explanations of aspect ratios. (3.5)
- 00-05-21: Official Netherlands FAQ mirror location has changed. (0)
- 00-05-21: Chinese translation available at
- 00-05-15: New questions:
[1.6.1] Where can I read reviews of DVDs?
[1.6.2] How do I find out when a movie will be available on DVD?
- 00-05-10: Solution for playing Stuart Little on Apex. (1.41)
- 00-05-09: Link to the FlikFX Digital Recomposition System. (1.38)
- 00-05-09: A bit more on stickers on discs. (1.44)
Thanks to thread at rec.video.dvd.misc.
- 00-05-05: Software player for parental management no longer available. (1.42)
- 00-05-01: More about confusing measurements, especially data transfer
- 00-04-20: Freeware MPEG-2 encoder: bbMPEG. (5.3)
- 00-04-20: Clarified issue of streaming CSS movies over a network. (4.7)
- 00-04-20: Super Video CD is an option for creating discs playable on DVD
players. (5.7 and 5.8)
- 00-04-20: Link to Jukka Aho's Super Video CD Overview and FAQ. (2.4.6)
- 00-04-20: 4% speedup of movies on PAL VCDs. (2.4.5)
- 00-04-11: New question: [3.2.2] Why is the audio or video
- 00-04-10: A little more info on DVD production costs. (5.1)
- 00-03-29: Explanation of various physical and application formats. (1.1)
- 00-03-22: Updated licensing info. (6.1)
- 00-03-19: More details on packaging. (1.17)
- 00-03-19: Major rewrite and simplification of player connection info. (3.1
- 00-03-16: Cine-bit player for PCs can do parental management for any disc.
- 00-03-16: More coax/optical digital audio converters and VGA-YPrPb
converter. (3.1 and 3.2)
- 00-03-15: Going rate for video to DVD-R transfer: $700/hour. (5.8)
- 00-03-13: Link to 7thZone (replacement for DVDUtils)-- lots of DVD
- 00-03-13: Note that Windows CD-ROM drivers work with DVD-ROM drives. (4.1)
- 00-03-13: Link to TenLab NTSC-PAL converters. (1.19)
- 00-03-13: Link to THX overview. (3.6.2)
- 00-03-08: Info about DVD logo trademark. (6.1)
- 00-03-08: Distortion in Saving Private Ryan is intentional. (1.41)
- 00-03-07: Link to Video CD info at CDPage. (2.4.5)
- 00-03-07: Turns out DeCSS wasn't blocked on recent discs. Info removed. (4.8)
- 00-03-06: Link to The Digital Bits' Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic
- 00-03-01: Updated info on drive speeds. Table of DVD/CD spins and data
- 00-02-29: More discs with multiple angles. (1.43)
- 00-02-29: Note about compensating for lower audio signal level. (3.6.2)
- 00-02-29: New question: [1.44] Is it ok to put labels or
magnetic strips on DVDs?
- 00-02-23: Minor updates to DVD-Audio and SACD. (1.12)
- 00-02-23: DeCSS blocked on recent discs. (4.8)
- 00-02-15: New question: [2.13] What effect will FMD have
- 00-02-15: You can't put CD audio data on a DVD. (2.4.1)
- 00-02-13: Russian translation has moved. (0.1)
- 00-02-09: Removed flipper and layer-switch lists. Link to DVD Review's
Film Vault instead. (1.21, 1.27)
- 00-02-08: Note about Macrovision problems on TV/VCR combos. (3.2.1)
- 00-02-08: New question: [4.10] What are .IFO, .VOB, and .AOB
files? How can I play them?
- 00-02-07: DVD-R split into two versions, brining the number of DVD
recordable formats to five. (4.3)
- 00-02-07: Pioneer DVD-Audio players support SACD, which means there may
never be a "standards battle". (1.12)
- 00-02-01: New question: [1.43] Which discs include
multiple camera angles?
- 00-02-01: Link to Michael D's Guide to Region 4 DVDs. (6.4)
- 00-01-28: New question: [4.9] How do I play DVD video in
HTML, PowerPoint, Director, VB, etc.?
- 00-01-27: Rambling lists of PC decoders are now more-legible bulleted
- 00-01-26: List of multi-rating and multi-version discs. (1.42)
- 00-01-26: Link to Dan Ramer's anamorphic article at DVD File. (3.5)
- 00-01-25: DVD hardware playback coming to Linux. (4.1)
- 00-01-25: Emphasis that letterbox and fullscreen images are usually the
same size. (1.38)
- 00-01-25: DeCSS stuff moved to its own new section: [4.8]
What is DeCSS?
- 00-01-25: Revised description of CSS. (1.11)
- 00-01-25: Note that region codes could be considered an illegal restraint
of trade. (1.10)
- 00-01-25: Pointer to excellent CD-i FAQ. (2.4.8)
- 00-01-25: Pointers to information on DVD mastering and replication. (5.0)
- 00-01-25: New question: [3.10] Does DVD work with
- 00-01-24: The DeCSS saga continues: Norwegian hacker raided. Preliminary
injunctions granted in NY and CA suits. (4.8)
- 00-01-24: A bunch of questions to help you pick a player. (1.5.1)
- 00-01-17: DeCSS source code available on a T-shirt. (4.8)
- 00-01-15: More on DVD video recorders. Rewritten DVD+RW section (pun
- 00-01-15: More DeCSS lawsuits. (4.8)
- 00-01-15: More links to software players. (4.1)
- 00-01-15: More manufacturers and more Web site links. (6.2)
- 00-01-14: New question: [0.3] Is this FAQ any good? How do
I know it's accurate? (Moved section 1.1.1 to 0.2)
- 00-01-14: Link to DVD Utils Web site. (6.4)
- 00-01-13: New question: [2.12] Will high-definition DVD or
720p DVD make current players and discs obsolete?. Related reworking of
HDTV section (2.9).
- 00-01-09: Minor revisions to video resolution info. Moved analog signal
figures from laserdisc section to video section. (3.4)
- 00-01-09: TVGuardian option for parental control. (1.42)
- 00-01-08: Many additions and URLs of DVD companies. (6.2)
- 00-01-05: New address for Russian translation. (0.1)
- 00-01-05: Difference between PAL and SECAM DVD players. (1.19)
- 99-12-29: DVD CCA restraining order denied. (4.8)
- 99-12-29: DVD CCA created to license CSS. (6.1)
- 99-12-27: More YUV-RGB converter sources. (3.1)
- 99-12-27: New question: [1.5.1] Which player should I
- 99-12-19: More infrared remotes for DVD playback on PCs. (4.1)
- 99-12-19: Minor rewrites of video encoding section. (3.4)
- 99-12-19: More info on making MiniDVDs. (5.7)
- 99-12-18: A few more compatibility problems. (1.4.1)
- 99-12-18: Link to Home Theater Forum, an excellent DVD discussion site,
and DVD Infomatrix, a great source of info on DVD PCs. (6.4)
- 99-12-12: Some naughty discs and players don't use 4:3 letterbox flags
- 99-12-12: Watch out for progressive-scan TVs that don't allow aspect ratio
- 99-12-12: Updated info on DVD-Audio (delayed until mid 2000). (1.12)
- 99-12-12: Minor updates to DTS info. (1.32)
- 99-12-12: No need for regular alignment of laser in player. (1.39)
- 99-12-12: Not even Philips 170 can play DVD-V content from CD-R/RW. (5.7)
- 99-12-11: Italian translation available at
- 99-12-11: New questions:
[1.42] How do the parental control and multi-ratings features
[3.9] What is edge enhancement?
[4.7] Can I stream DVD over a network or the Internet?
- 99-12-11: New troubleshooting step for PCs (overlay surface). (4.6)
- 99-12-11: Mentioned DVD-R replication for short runs. (5)
- 99-12-11: Layer change times for The Mummy, 12 Monkeys, Deer Hunter,
Apollo 13 (DTS), Legionnaire, A Simple Plan, Stargate SE, The Stand. (1.27)
Thanks Bob, Josh, Kristen, Shawn, Adam, Dream Master.
- 99-12-10: Numerous updates on writable DVD. (4.3)
- 99-11-19: First commercial DVD-18. (3.3.1)
(A bit of gloating about my accurate prediction.)
- 99-11-19: New question: [2.11] How can I record from DVD
- 99-11-19: Software DVD player for Mac. (4.1)
- 99-11-19: Link to Aaron's rebuttal of Bernie's "Letterschlock FAQ." (1.38)
- 99-11-15: New IEC prefixes for binary multiples. (7.2)
- 99-11-11: Visible Light authoring packages. (5.4)
- 99-11-09: New question: [6.3] Where can I buy (or rent)
DVDs and players?
- 99-11-08: CSS (copy protection) cracked. (4.8)
- 99-11-08: A few new DVD players can play MP3 CDs. (2.4.12)
- 99-11-03: New question: [1.1.1] This FAQ is too long and
technical. Is there a simpler version?
- 99-10-05: A few DVD players can read SVCD. Philips DVD170 is upgradable. (2.4.6)
- 99-10-04: More about why so many DVDs are widescreen (is my bias showing?
:-), including links to sites with more info (1.38).
Additions to widescreen links at the end of 3.5.
- 99-09-27: New question: [1.41] Why doesn't disc X work on
- 99-09-27: Note about component output interface formats and incorrect
YCbCr component output labeling. (3.2)
- 99-09-24: More information on DVD players' inability to play DVD-Video
content from CD-R/RW. (5.7)
- 99-09-22: Minor updates to the new progressive player section, including
mention of Princeton's player. (1.40)
- 99-09-20: New questions:
[1.40] What's a progressive DVD player?
[3.8] What is the difference between interlaced and progressive
- 99-08-25: DVDComposer encoder from Digital Ventures. (5.3)
- 99-08-24: New question: [4.6] Why do I have problems
playing DVDs on my computer?
- 99-08-24: Matrox RT2000 capture/edit/author package for $1,300. (5.4)
- 99-08-23: WinDVD software decoder (works in NT 4.0) available retail. Link
to Tony Lai's Mpact2 FAQ. (4.1)
- 99-08-23: Added an 8th definition of hybrid; explained 3 variations of
hybrid CD/DVDs. (1.31)
- 99-08-22: Compatibility of CD-i movies. (2.4.8)
- 99-08-19: Revised section on home DVD video recorders, now that they're
less than a year away. (1.14)
- 99-08-19: Explanation why some discs default to surround or stereo track
instead of 5.1. (1.28)
- 99-08-11: Note in DVD-Video to CD-R section explaining that it doesn't
refer to copying DVDs. (5.7)
- 99-08-11: Layer change times for Amistad and Heat. (1.27)
Thanks Adam and Frank.
- 99-08-11: Hooking component output to composite input can cause B&W
picture. (1.33) Thanks Tigger.
- 99-08-10: Official mirror in Germany:
Mirror at DVD City <http://www.dvdcity.com/officialfaq.html>
for multiple countries.
- 99-08-08: DVD authoring: Cine-Magnetics. (5.5)
- 99-08-04: Updated discussions of how laserdisc has been affected by DVD. (2.6
- 99-08-02: Note about output of 94/26 PCM audio. (3.1)
- 99-08-02: Flippers: The Happiest Millionaire, The Rock. (1.21)
- 99-07-19: DVD authoring: Oasis Post. (5.5)
- 99-07-19: Layer change times for Terminator 2 (region 2). (1.27)
Air Force One (region 2) is a flipper. (1.21)
- 99-07-26: New info on NEC MVDisc recorder. (4.3)
- 99-07-23: New question: [5.9] How do I get a job making
- 99-07-23: DVD authoring: Digital Metropolis. (5.5)
- 99-07-19: $400 authoring package from Vitec. (5.4)
- 99-07-19: Explanation of Dolby Digital dialog normalization. (3.6.2)
- 99-07-19: Note about Dolby Digital mixdown compared to DVD-Audio mixdown.
- 99-07-19: Can't connect VGA output to RGB video monitors. (4.1)
- 99-07-19: VCD and LD/CDV players can't play DVDs. (2.4.5
and 2.4.11) (I guess this wasn't as
obvious as I thought)
- 99-06-21: Layer change times: And Then There Were None, Brazil, Dead
Ringers, Ghostbusters, Henry V, High & Low, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Outlaw
Josey Wales, Phenomena, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Q & A, Red Shoes, To Kill a
Mockingbird. (1.27) Thanks Christoph
- 99-07-19: DVD authoring: Stay Tuned. (5.5)
- 99-07-14: Note about DTS on DVD (Coherent Acoustics encoding) being
different from DTS in the theatre (apt-X encoding). (3.6.2)
- 99-07-12: Video encoding hardware and authoring package from DV Studio. (5.3
- 99-07-12: DVD authoring: Abbey Road Interactive, Digital Farm. (5.5)
- 99-07-12: New questions:
[1.37] How do I find "Easter eggs" and other hidden features?
[1.38] How do I get rid of the black bars at the top and
[1.39] How should I clean and care for DVDs?
- 99-07-12: Minor changes to section on scratches. (1.35)
- 99-07-12: A few more technical details on causes laser rot. (1.24)
Cribbed from Bob Niland's great laserdisc pages.
- 99-07-12: Note about DVD-ROM cache memory. (4.2)
- 99-07-12: Note about Sigma and Creative decoders that work in NT 4.0. (4.1)
- 99-07-07: Norwegian translation now available at <http://www.dvdnett.no/dvdfaq/norsk/>.
- 99-07-07: Official UK mirror: <http://188.8.131.52/DVDGuide/faq.htm>
- 99-07-07: Links to numerous company Web sites. (6.2)
- 99-07-07: Various minor changes to licensing info. (6.1)
- 99-07-06: Rumors of watermarking decision for DVD-Audio. (1.12)
- 99-07-06: Region 2 flipper: King Face/Off. (1.21)
- 99-06-29: Updates to PC decoder information. (4.1)
- 99-06-29: A few sample audio playing times. (3.3)
- 99-06-28: New question: [1.36] Why does the picture
alternate between light and dark? (Minor updates to 3.2.1
- 99-06-25: Auto repair DVD-ROM from Mitchell Repair Information Company. (6.2)
- 99-06-24: New question: [5.8] How do I copy my home videos
- 99-06-24: DVD+RW shipments begin. Minor changes to DVD+RW section,
including bumping expected date of DVD+RW 2.0 from mid-2000 to 2001. (4.3)
- 99-06-23: DVD-Video verifier from Philips. Test service from ITRI. (5.6)
- 99-06-23: Video encoding software from Digigami. Closed caption system
from Computer Prompting & Captioning. (5.3)
- 99-06-22: Reworked section on video quality. (1.3)
- 99-06-22: Reworked section on title availability. (1.6)
- 99-06-21: Player/drive availability section now just lists brands and
links to more info. (I couldn't keep up with models and prices.) Suggestions
of sites with good player info appreciated. (1.5)
- 99-06-21: Reports of "laser rot." (1.24)
- 99-06-21: Note about DTS-ES. (3.6.2)
- 99-06-21: Testing services from Audio Development AB. (5.6)
- 99-06-21: Note about auto-switching players. Link to Planet DVD and Visual
- 99-06-21: Layer change times: The Relic, The Adventures of Baron
Munchausen, and Alien Resurrection. (1.27)
- 99-06-19: Matsushita DVD-Audio players will also play video. (3.6.1)
- 99-06-16: Changed question from "What is Divx" to "What was Divx." Added
information about the demise of Divx. (2.10)
- 99-06-16: Complete rewrite of aspect ratio section, with more thorough
explanation of anamorphic 16:9 widescreen. (3.5)
- 99-06-16: Another flipper: King Crimson's Deja VROOOM. (1.21)
- 99-06-15: Short explanation of CLV and CAV. We're now up to 8x DVD-ROM
drive speeds. (4.2)
- 99-06-15: New dual-wavelength laser from Sony. (2.4.3)
- 99-06-11: Player and disc info for DVD-Audio and SACD. Link to E-town
- 99-06-11: Note about Dolby Digital EX. (3.6.2)
- 99-06-11: Lots of layer change times, mostly lifted from reviews at
The Digital Bits. (1941,
Alien: 20th Anniversary Edition, Alien 3, ANTZ, Blues Brothers 2000:
Collector's Edition, Dances With Wolves, The Deer Hunter, Die Hard, Die Hard
2, Elizabeth, Face/Off, Gods and Monsters, Meet Joe Black, The Paris Concert
for Amnesty International, The Peacemaker, Pleasantville, The Silence of the
Lambs, Small Soldiers, Sphere, Taxi Driver: Special Edition, Thief: Special
Director's Edition, True Lies, West Side Story). Three conflicts with previous reports, can anyone verify? (1.27)
- 99-06-10: Verification tool from Interra. (5.6)
- 99-06-10: Video and audio encoding tools from Sony, video archiving tool
from Canopus. (5.3)
- 99-06-10: New question: [5.7] Can I put DVD-Video content
on a CD-R or CD-RW?
- 99-06-10: Minor changes to Divx info. (2.10)
- 99-06-10: Minor changes to CD-i info. (2.4.8)
- 99-06-10: Minor changes to packaging info. (1.17)
- 99-06-08: DVD authoring: Added CVC, FATDisc, Henninger, and Mastering
Studio München. (5.5)
- 99-06-08: Layer change time for The X Files. (1.27)
- 99-06-08: A bit about standards-converting players. (1.19)
- 99-06-08: Minor additions to layer change information. (1.18
- 99-06-08: Region 2 flippers: Starship Troopers. (1.21)
- 99-06-07: DVD-Audio watermarking choice narrowed down. (1.12)
- 99-06-04: Improvements to discussion of DVD production. (5.1)
- 99-05-27: Region 8 assigned. (1.10)
- 99-05-26: DVD authoring: Added PIMC; removed One, Ltd. (5.5)
- 99-05-26: DVD testing: Added PMTC. (5.6)
- 99-05-10: New question: [1.35] Why are the audio and video
out of sync?
- 99-05-10: New 4.7G DVD-R drive from Pioneer available. (4.3)
- 99-05-06: DVD authoring: DVD Master, GTN. (5.5)
- 99-05-05: Revamped and updated encoding and authoring tools sections. (5.3
- 99-05-05: Added El Torito booting as a feature of DVD-ROM formatters. (5.2)
- 99-05-05: Link to Steve Rothman's DVD-DATA FAQ and mailing list for
writable DVD. (4.3)
- 99-05-04: Layer change vague description for Die Hard 3. (1.27)
- 99-05-04: Link to Swedish official FAQ mirror site,
- 99-04-30: New link to Netherlands official FAQ mirror site,
- 99-04-28: Updated players available in region 4. (1.5)
Thanks Andrew! (Yes, I know the other regions are
totally out of date.)
- 99-04-28: DVD authoring: B1 Media, California DVD, C&C interactive AB. (5.5)
- 99-04-28: Region 2 flippers: Armageddon and Die Jury. (1.21)
- 99-04-28: Attributed GEAR DVD to GEAR Software. Moved MTC's ForDVD utility
to the right place (was in 5.4). (5.2)
- 99-04-28: Link to Ask Digital Man. (6.3)
- 99-04-27: New question: [4.5] Why can't I play movies
copied to my hard drive?
- 99-04-26: Video encoding tool from Vitech. (5.3)
- 99-04-14: New Mac DVD-ROM kits from EZQuest and Wired. E4 out of business.
- 99-04-13: Minor corrections to ATSC DTV format info. (2.9)
- 99-04-13: Infrared remote control for PC DVD playback. (4.1)
- 99-04-13: Link to Bobby Owsinski's Surround Sound FAQ. (3.6)
- 99-04-13: Added Gone With the Wind and Riverdance: Live in New York to
"flipper" list. (1.21) Thanks Ed and
- 99-04-11: Audio and video encoding tools from Astarte, Custom Technology,
and Microcosmos. (5.3)
- 99-04-11: Authoring tools from Astarte, Innovacom, and Microboards. (5.4)
- 99-03-21: Stopped trying to keep up with pan&scan-only titles, links to
databases instead. (1.25)
- 99-03-21: Links to additional info on anamorphic video. (1.22
and 3.5) Thanks Bill, Derek, Greg, and
- 99-03-18: Audio and video encoding tools from Zapex. (5.3)
- 99-03-18: DVD authoring: MPEG Production AB (5.5)
- 99-03-18: Layer change times for Black Rain and You've Got Mail. (1.27)
Thanks Richard and Jim.
- 99-03-17: New question: [1.34] Why are both sides
fullscreen when one side is supposed to be widescreen?
- 99-03-17: Minor updates on changing aspect ratio. (1.22)
- 99-03-17: More companies: A.D. Vision, Analog Devices, Brilliant, Comjet,
- 99-03-07: New question: [4.4] Why can't I take a screenshot
of DVD video? Why do I get a pink or black square?
- 99-03-07: More DVD-Audio and SACD info. (1.12 and
- 99-03-07: Notes about recording to CD-R and CD-RW. (2.4.3
- 99-03-07: Pioneer DVL-909 is first U.S. Pioneer to read Video CDs. (2.4.5)
- 99-03-07: Minor improvements to DVD production intro. (5)
- 99-03-07: DVD authoring: RISE Intl. (5.5)
- 99-03-07: Video/audio production tools from Digital Vision, FAST
- 99-03-07: More producers: BroadcastDVD, VCA Interactive. (6.2)
- 99-03-07: Layer change times for Armageddon, Blade, Godzilla, Platoon,
Rambo. (1.27) Thanks Adam, Alexander,
- 99-03-06: Minor additions to writable DVD section, including new makers of
DVD-R/RW media and drives. (4.3)
- 99-02-06: A little more watermarking info. (1.11)
- 99-02-06: Features to look for in DVD formatters. (5.2)
- 99-02-06: DVD-ROM formatter from Smart Storage. (5.2)
- 99-02-06: Software decoder for ATI cards. (4.1)
- 99-02-04: Link to Dana's article on writable DVD. (4.3)
- 99-02-03: Theatrical DTS disc released on Jan 7. (1.32)
- 99-01-28: Tons of new info about DVD computers. (4.1)
- 99-01-28: More information about how DVD PCs must support copy protection.
- 99-01-28: Explanation of why player can indicate Dolby Digital while
receiver says Dolby Surround. (1.23)
- 99-01-27: Updated sections on DTV and HDTV (after noticing I hadn't
updated parts since before DVD came out!). (2.6 and
- 99-01-22: Lots of changes to recordable section, including recognition
that pressure to remove the "DVD" from DVD+RW has failed. (4.3)
- 99-01-22: New question: [1.33] Why is the picture black
- 99-01-22: Toshiba 3107/3108 can play Video CDs. (2.4.5)
- 99-01-21: Corrected "no auto letterbox discs" to "no auto pan & scan
discs". (Thanks Kenneth.) Added note about p&s used
in menus. (3.5)
- 99-01-21: Minor updates, including note about higher speeds not improving
video quality. (4.2)
- 99-01-13: More detail on playing NTSC discs in PAL players. (1.19)
- 99-01-08: More info about DVD-ROM speeds and a/v connections. (4.2)
- 99-01-08: Removed Face/Off from "flipper" list. (1.21)
- 99-01-07: Harman/Kardon and Kenwood making Divx players. Divx year-end
sales figures. (2.10).
- 98-12-13: More explanation of what 2nd and 3rd generation are and aren't.
- 98-12-18: Another meaning for hybrid! (1.31)
- 98-12-18: Minor updates to "generation" section. (1.30)
- 98-12-18: No region codes on DVD-Audio, mention of RPC2 drives, a couple
of Web sites with code free info. (1.10)
- 98-12-18: Pointer to IMDB's DVD Browser. (1.5)
- 98-12-18: New question: [3.3.1] When will double-sided,
dual-layer discs (DVD-18) be available? Thanks Bill.
- 98-12-18: Another authoring service (G-Bee Music & Video
- 98-12-18: Note about Closed Captions in WST format. (3.4)
- 98-12-18: Dragonheart layer change time. (1.27)
- 98-12-18: Added Face/Off to "flipper" list. (1.21)
Thanks Dr. Jordan.
- 98-12-17: Minor updates to Divx section. (2.10).
- 98-12-16: Updated capacities chart. (3.3)
- 98-12-13: Added Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to pan & scan list. Added footnote
for fullscreen films. (1.25) Thanks
Matt and Ben.
- 98-12-13: Note about non-flipper version of Dances With Wolves. (1.21)
- 98-12-13: Austria mirror site link. (above)
- 98-12-13: More authoring services (CREATIVVIDEO & DIALOGOS, Stream).
- 98-12-11: Updated digital copy protection (DCPS) section. (1.11)
- 98-12-11: New question: [2.4.13] Is HDCD compatible with
- 98-12-10: Authoring systems from Blossom, Minerva, Philips, Q-Comm, and
Astarte (details to come). (5.4)
- 98-11-30: Added and updated Sonic authoring and encoding product info. (5.3
- 98-11-30: Hard Boiled layer change time. (1.27)
- 98-11-30: Added Sleuth to "flipper" list. (1.21)
- 98-11-30: More authoring services (DVD Technologies, Marin Digital,
Mercury Entertainment, PRC Digital Media, Syrinx). (5.5)
- 98-11-30: Note about region codes being permanent. (1.10)
- 98-11-30: Bumped TVL measurement from 480 to 500 in laserdisc comparison.
- 98-11-30: Added Intec's DVDAuthorQUICK authoring system. (5.4)
- 98-11-30: Changes and updates to recordable section. Combined DVD-R and
DVD-RW subsections. (4.3)
- 98-11-25: Minor updates to the HDTV comparison. (2.9)
- 98-11-19: Added link to DVD+RW Web site. (4.3)
- 98-11-12: Changed SGS-Thomson to STMicroelectronics. (6.2)
- 98-11-12: A few more details on so-called DVD III drives. (1.30)
- 98-11-12: A few more detail on 5x drives. (4.2)
- 98-11-11: Note that Stargate SE has not appeared (original rumored
release date was June 98). (1.21)
- 98-11-10: Layer switch time for Vertigo. (1.27)
- 98-11-05: More authoring companies (Cut & Copy, Dynamic Media,
Microsoft DVS, Stonehenge Filmworks). (5.5)
- 98-11-05: Note about LBX abbreviation for letterbox. (3.5)
- 98-11-05: Disadvantage: player/disc incompatibilities. (1.4)
- 98-11-04: A little more MMVF technical detail. (4.3)
- 98-11-02: Link to Bob Niland's laserdisc FAQs. (2.7)
- 98-10-27: More additions to studio list (American Gramaphone, Delta
Entertainment, Digital Multimedia, Essex Entertainment, Kino, Monarch, N2K
Music, New Horizons, NuTech Digital, Parasol, Passport, Phantom, Rhino,
Shanachie, SlingShot, Victory). (6.2)
- 98-10-16: Added Toho to studio list. (6.2)
- 98-10-15: Layer change time for Lost In Space. (1.27)
- 98-10-15: Note about code-switchable players for multiple regions. (1.10)
- 98-10-15: New question: [2.4.6] Is Super Video CD
compatible with DVD? (Renumbered others to make room.)
- 98-10-13: Updated pointer to Chris' DVD title list. (1.6)
- 98-10-07: DVD-Audio plea. (1.12) (Lots more DVD-Audio
details coming -- stay tuned.)
- 98-10-07: Closed Caption info. (3.4) Also noted that
CGMS/A line-21 data is stored as XDS. (1.11)
- 98-10-07: A slew of layer change times. (1.27) Thanks
to Adam and Steve.
- 98-10-05: Updated Laserviews link (now part of Image Entertainment). (1.6)
- 98-10-05: New Japanese
translation of the FAQ.
- 98-09-25: Changed digital copy protection (DCPS/5CP) to new name, DTCP. (1.11)
- 98-09-25: Added Maxell (replicator). (5.5)
- 98-09-25: More studios. (6.2): Amazing Fantasy,
Brentwood, CAV, Central Park Media, Chesky, Concert @ Home, Eaton
Entertainment, Front Row, Goodtimes, Leo, Madacy, Magic Lantern, Media
Galleries, Monterey, Panasonic Interactive Media , Program Power, Sterling,
Synapse Motion Pictures, Trimark, World. (The list is now over 80!)
Also two more DVD-ROMs from M2K.
- 98-09-25: Divx nationwide rollout. (2.10)
- 98-09-25: DreamWorks supports open DVD. (1.13,
6.2, and 2.10)
- 98-09-21: New question: [1.32] What's the deal with DTS
- 98-09-21: Digital zoom feature in some players. (1.2)
- 98-09-17: Possibly no DTS discs until 1999. Revised comment about DTS and
PCM together not leaving room for quality video. (1.32)
- 98-09-17: Reworked audio details with new subsections for DVD-Audio and
- 98-09-16: Link to WebShopper DVD report. (1.5)
- 98-09-14: New question: [3.2.1] Will I have problems
connecting my VCR between my TV and my DVD player? Minor changes to 3.2 to
accomodate. Thanks, Castor.
- 98-09-14: Pioneer statement that laserdisc has 1.5 to 2 years left. (2.6)
- 98-09-11: Added Tele-Cine (film transfer service). (5.3)
- 98-09-11: Note about differences in player letterbox filters. (3.5)
- 98-09-11: A few more details on 2x and 5x drives. (4.2)
- 98-09-08: New question: [1.31] What's a hybrid DVD?
- 98-09-08: Added IPA, IPC, DV Line, and Digital Outpost. Merged DMI with
Cinram and Nimbus with Technicolor. Took out Scenarist subscripts (now that
other authoring systems have begun to show up). (5.5)
- 98-09-08: Playing time ranges for MLP audio. Note clarifying that DTS
discs will also have DD sountracks. (3.6)
- 98-08-18: New question: [1.30] What's the difference
between first, second, and third generation DVD?
- 98-08-18: Removed Lawnmower Man: Special Edition from "flipper" list. (1.21)
- 98-08-18: CSS license contact info. (6.1)
- 98-08-17: Links to UK DVD FAQ. (1.5, 6.3)
- 98-08-17: MLP approved for DVD-Audio. Link to more MLP info. (3.6)
- 98-08-14: Reworked recordable section. A little more DVD-RW info. DVD-R
media makers. (4.3)
- 98-08-11: Fox supports open DVD. (1.13)
- 98-08-07: Minor additions to DTS and SDD sections. (3.6)
- 98-08-07: Extron RGB/YUV convertor. (3.1)
- 98-08-07: DTS audio CDs work on all DVD players. (3.2)
- 98-08-07: Info about resolution as analog signal frequency response. (2.7)
- 98-08-07: More watermarking details. (1.11)
- 98-08-07: Link to Widescreen Review's title listings. (1.6)
- 98-08-07: More optional player features: progressive scan, DTS, Divx. (1.2)
- 98-08-07: Disadvantage: later variations not supported by earlier players.
- 98-08-05: Corrected 704x486 to 704x576. Thanks, Antti. (3.5)
- 98-08-04: Toshiba 2100 is first Toshiba player to play Video CDs. (2.4.5)
- 98-08-04: DVD-RAM-compatible DVD-ROM drive from Panasonic. (4.3)
- 98-08-04: MPEGRich encoder. (5.3)
- 98-07-17: New questions: [5.2] What DVD-ROM formatting
tools are available? and [5.3] What MPEG-2 encoding tools
are available?. (Bumped old 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4 down).
- 98-07-17: WriteUDF, WriteDVD, Gear DVD for premastering DVD-ROMs. (5)
- 98-07-14: Adaptec Toast DVD for premastering DVD-ROMs. (5)
- 98-07-14: StreamWeaver and ForDVD authoring/premastering tools. (5.4)
- 98-07-13: Updated note about DVD-RAM availability and price. (1.14)
- 98-07-01: Revised PC playback answer and added link to Eric Smith's page.
- 98-07-01: New question: [1.29] Why doesn't the repeat A-B
feature work on some discs?
- 98-07-01: Vertical reduction mode on European TVs for anamorphic video. (3.5)
- 98-07-01: Added Panasonic disc services. (5.5)
- 98-02-25: New intro to production (5), and corrections
and updates to authoring info (5.2).
- 98-02-21: Competing DVD audio formats. (1.12)
- 98-02-21: Updates to player info. (1.5)
- 98-02-20: Lots more RSDL discs. Please supply switch times if you have
- 98-02-20: Fox is supporting Divx. (2.10)
- 98-02-20: Info about new digital copy protection proposal. (1.11)
- 98-02-20: Basic details of DVD-Audio draft. (3.6)
- 98-02-20: Additions to DVD-ROM list, links to most companies' Web sites. (6.2)
- 98-02-12: Many updates to player info. (1.5)
- 98-02-09: There's now a
Spanish translation of this FAQ. (Thanks, Modesto!!)
- 98-02-05: More DVD authoring systems. (5.2)
- 98-01-22: Link to Eric's drive info page. (1.5)
- 98-01-20: MultiRead and Type II updates for CD-R compatibility. (2.43)
- 98-01-18: New question: [1.28] The disc says Dolby
Digital. Why do I get 2-channel surround audio?
- 98-01-18: Pointer to rental locations database. (1.15)
- 98-01-18: Pointer to Chris' title list. (1.6)
- 98-01-18: Reality check and a few new predictions. (1.9)
- 98-01-13: Links to DVD primers from Nimbus and Sonic. (6.3)
- 98-01-13: Explained THX (Thanks, Wayne). Added a few more audio format
- 97-07-22: Akai player made by Akai, not Pioneer (1.5).
- 97-07-11: More info about progressive vs interlaced, including display on
- 97-07-11: Info about DVD email discussion list (6.3).
- 97-07-11: Brief PTP and OTP explanation. More layer switching info. (1.18).
- 97-06-27: New question: [1.25] Which titles are pan & scan
- 97-06-26: How to recognize dual-layer discs (1.18).
- 97-06-25: List of movies that have to be flipped (1.21).
- 97-06-20: Toshiba DVD video recorder demo (1.14).
- 97-06-20: Creative Labs DVD-ROM (1.5); added note about
24x speed to 4.2.
- 97-06-03: Finally got around to adding a pointer to Poynton's Color FAQ (6.3).
- 97-06-02: Laserdisc comparison now includes dynamic range loss and
encoding loss in Dolby Digital downmix (2.7).
- 97-06-01: More detailed final region info (1.10).
- 97-06-01: DVD-Audio format expected in December (3.6).
- 97-05-31: More CSS and regional code info (1.11).
- 97-05-30: Clarification from DVD-Forum of MPEG audio requirements. Dynamic
range compression and lack of LFE in 2-channel downmix. (3.6)
- 97-05-30: New DVD-R/DVD-RAM info in 3.3 and
- 97-05-25: Note about YPbPr vs YCbCr (3.1).
- 97-05-18: New question: [1.24] Can DVDs have laser
- 97-05-11: New question: [1.23] Do all videos use Dolby
Digital (AC-3)? Do they all have 5.1 channels?
- 97-05-11: Many additions and changes to section 1.5.
- 97-05-11: Revised aspect ratio section to make it easier to understand (3.5).
- 97-05-07: New question: [1.22] Why is the picture
squished, making things look too skinny?
- 97-04-09: Added brief explanation of video bit resolution (3.4).
- 97-04-07: Updated DVD-RAM info (4.3).
- 97-04-07: Expanded the Enhanced CD section to explicitly cover other
formats. Thanks, Brett Crossley. (2.4.8).
- 97-04-05: Corrected maximum combined bitrate from 9.8 to 10.08 (3.4).
- 97-04-04: Rewrote most of "When will DVD titles be available, and how
many?" (1.6). Replaced lists of titles with pointers to Robert's pages.
- 97-03-30: Improved the dual layer explanation. Thanks, Dana. (3.3)
- 97-03-29: Explained why dual layers hold less. (3.3)
- 97-03-18: Confirmed that Sony players play VideoCDs. (2.4.5)
- 97-03-21: West Coast Entertainment rental announcement. (1.15)
- 97-03-19: DVD-ROM dates moved to May. (1.5)
- 97-03-19: [2.9] Will DVD support HDTV (DTV/ATV)? (DVD-ROM will support
HDTV before DVD-Video.)
- 97-03-18: [3.7] How do the interactive features work? (Improved
description of program chains.)
- 97-03-18: [3.6] What are the audio details? (Downmix clarified. All
players have decoders. Feb-16: DTS and SDDS details.)
- 97-03-18: [2.4.5] Is VideoCD compatible with DVD? (Specific player
- 97-03-18: [3.2] How do I hook up a DVD player? (Note about internal
decoders. Minor revisions.)
- 97-03-12: [1.5] When will DVD players and drives be available? (Moved a
few more from projected to released. More details of dates, prices, and model
- 97-03-08: [3.4] What are the video details? (Progressive scan film
- 97-03-08: [3.1] What are the outputs of a DVD player? (More labels.)
- 97-01-02: [2.6] Will DVD replace laserdisc? Should I buy laserdisc now or
wait for DVD and HDTV? (Revised this very common question and expanded the
answer, based largely on comments from Dwayne.)
- 96-12-14: New question: [1.20] What about animation on DVD? Doesn't it
- 96-??-??: New question: [7.3] Notation and units
- [1.5] When will DVD players and drives be available? (Jan-1: New layout,
- [1.6] When will DVD titles be available, and how many? (Jan-8: Titles from
Warner, Columbia TriStar, and MGM. Dec-21: More titles in Japan.)
- [1.8] How much do discs cost? (Jan-8: Price range from Columbia TriStar.
Dec-16: More price info from Japan.)
- [1.10] What are "regional codes," "country codes," or "zone locks"?
(Dec-16: Locale numbers for North America and Japan.)
- [1.15] What happens if I scratch the disc? Aren't discs too fragile to be
rented? (Dec-19: Revised)
- [2.4.3] Is CD-R compatible with DVD-ROM? (Dec-23: New Samsung lens.)
- [2.7] How does DVD compare to laserdisc? (Jan-2: Resolution comparison.
Pointer to Leopold's LD FAQ.)
- [2.9] Will DVD support Digital TV (DTV/HDTV/ATV)? (Dec-27: More reasons
against double-headed players.)
- [3.2] What are the sizes and capacities of DVD? (Dec-27: GB and G byte
- [3.3] What are the video details? (Dec-22: More realistic compression
measurement. More data rate info.)
- [3.4] How do the aspect ratios work? (Jan-3: More details.)
- [3.5] What are the audio details? (Dec-30: More explanation of Dolby
Digital channel variations and surround encoding.)
- [4.1] Can I play DVD movies on my computer? (Dec-10: More software
- [4.2] What are the features and speeds of DVD-ROM drives?
- [5.1] How much does it cost to produce a DVD? (Dec-10: More details on
- [5.2] What DVD authoring systems are available and how much do they cost?
(Dec-30: Added Zapex.)
- [5.3] Who can produce a DVD for me? (Dec-30: All Post and Pacific Coast
Sound Works. Dec-11: JVC and Metatec.)
- [6.2] Who is making or supporting DVD products? (Jan-8: More. Dec-23:
Samsung. Dec-18: IVS. Dec-13: Intel. Dec-12: 2 Way Media, Byron Preiss,
Discovery Channel, Elektroson, Graphix Zone, Innovacom, SGS-Thomson, Software
Architects, Sumeria, and more Tsunami titles. Dec-10: Alpine and Clarion.).
- Japan (Region 2)
- Panasonic: A-100, 79,800 yen; A-300, 98,000 yen (Nov 1996); DVD-A350,
94,000 yen; DVD-K500, 110,000 yen (Nov 97); DVD-A450, 100,000 yen (Dec 10,
97). YPbPr component out, 6-ch DD, 96 kHz 24-bit audio.
- Toshiba: SD-3000, 77,000 yen (Nov 96); SD-K310, 89,000 yen (Jun 97)
- Sanyo (Toshiba-made): (Dec 96).
- Pioneer: DV-7, 83,000 yen; DVL-9, 133,000 yen; DVD-K800, 120,000 yen;
DVK-1000, 248,000 yen; DV-F21 (Dec 96)
- Hitachi (Pioneer-made): (Dec 96)
- Akai: DV-P1000, 65,000 yen (Apr 97)
- Sony: DVP-S7000, 110,000 yen (Mar 97); DVP-S3000, 79,000 yen. (?, 97).
YPbPr component out.
- Victor: XV-1000, 93,000 yen (Apr 97); XV-D2000, 115,000 yen. (Dec? 97).
YPbPr component out, 6-ch DD.
- Korea (Regions 3 and 5)
- Samsung (Toshiba-made): Nov 96.
- LG (Goldstar): Nov 96.
- US (Region 1)
- Panasonic: A-100, $600; A-300, $750 (Feb 97); DVD-A110, DVD-A310,
DVD-A510 (all DTS-compatible); DVD-A350, ~$750; DVD-A450, ~$825; DVD-K500,
~$900 (Mar 1998); DVD-L10, $1300 (portable) (June 98).
- Toshiba: SD-2006, $600; SD-3006, $750 (Mar 1997); SD-2107, $600; SD-3107
- Denon (Matsushita + Denon audio): DVD-2000, $800 (Mar 97)
- Sony: DVP-S7000, $1000 (Apr 97); DVP-S3000 (Oct 97); DVP-S300, $500 (May
- RCA (Matsushita-made): RC5200P, $500; RC5500P, $700 (Apr 97)
- Proscan (Matsushita-made): PS8600P, $750; (same circuitry as RCA5500P)
- Mitsubishi (Toshiba-made): DD-1000, $700 (Apr 1997)
- Philips/Magnavox: DVD 400AT, $550 (May 97); 420AT, $650 (Oct 97).
- JVC: XV1000, $600 (Jun 97)
- Samsung: DVD905, $750 (Sep 97)
- Onkyo (Toshiba-made): DVD-7, $1000 (Fall 97)
- Marantz (Toshiba-made): DVD810.
- Yamaha (Matushita-made): DVD-1000 (Fall 97).
- Zenith (Toshiba-made): DVD2000 (Fall 97).
- Harman Kardon: HDV-715 (Fall 97).
- Faroudja: DV-1000, $5500 (modified Toshiba 3006) (Fall 97)
- Pioneer: DV-500, $600; DVL-700, $1000; DVL-90, $1750 (Feb 97); DVL-909,
$1100 (LD/DVD) (Jan 98); DV-606D, $700 (24-bit 96 kHz) (Jan 98).
- Europe (Region 2)
- For UK player info, see the UK DVD FAQ: <http://movieuk.com/dvdfaq.htm>
- Panasonic: A-100EC, 1300DM; A-300EC, 1400DM (Mar 97); A-350EC, 1500DM
(6-channel MPEG-2 & DD) (Jan 98)
- Thomson (Matsushita-made): France, 4990 francs (Mar 97)
- Asia (Region 3)
- Panasonic: DVD-A130; DVD-A330.
- Pioneer: DVL-505; DVL-909 (DVD/LD combo) (both NTSC only).
- Philips: DVD-840 (=Toshiba SD-K310).
- Sony: DVP-S7000 (May 97)
- Australia (Region 4)
- Akai: DV-P1000
- Denon: DVD-3000, DVD-5000
- JVC: XV-D2000BK
- Onkyo: DV-S501
- Panasonic: DVD-A130; DVD-A330; DVD-A300; DVD-A350 (6-channel MPEG-2)
- Philips: DVD-820; DVD-840; DVD-860
- Pioneer D515, D717
- Sony: DVD-S7000; DVP-DS715; DVP-S315; DVP-S525; DVP-S7700
- Toshiba SD-K310; SD-K2108
Projected player releases:
- Japan (Region 2)
- Toshiba: 2 portable players, 75,000 yen each (Nov 97).
- Philips: Spring 98.
- Panasonic: DVD-L10 portable player (Spring 98).
- Sony: DVP-S501D, 88,000 yen; DVP-M30 (both 96/24 audio) (April 98).
- Pioneer: DV-S9, 190,000 yen (96/24 audio); DVL-909, 128,000 yen
(DVD/LD); DV-505, 69,800 yen; DVL-K88, 148,000 yen (DVD/LD + karaoke).
- Toshiba SD-2100(N).
- US (Region 1)
- Akai: DV-P1000.
- Meridian: 586, $3500!.
- Kenwood: January 1998.
- Runco: SAR-200, $15,000 (200-disc changer, THX-certified) (Jan 98).
- Sony: DVP-C600D (5-disc changer) (Summer 98).
- Denon: DVD-3000, $899 (DTS-compatible) (Apr 98).
- Pioneer: DV-505, $500 (May 98).
- Onkyo: DV-S501, $850 (Summer 98).
- JVC: XV-D2000BK (24b/96kHz).
- Fisher: DVD-60, $2,400 (60-disc DVD/DVD-ROM changer).
- Hyundai, Goldstar, Hitachi (Pioneer-made), Runco (modified Pioneer),
Sharp: No date.
- Unity Motion: No date (progressive scan!).
- Europe (Region 2)
- JVC: Summer 98?
- Kenwood: August in Germany (LZ-25).
- Sony: DVPŠS715, DVP-S315 (both have 24/96 audio, MPEG-2 audio, RGB SCART)
- Philips: Spring 1998 (DVD 730, DM 1500; DVD 930, DM 1700).
- Hitachi, Pioneer, Toshiba: Spring 1998.
- Grundig: GDV 100 G.
- Asia (Region 3)
- Australia/New Zealand (Region 4)
- Poland (DVD'mension) <dvd.wp.pl/knowhow/faq/faq_en.html>
- Ireland (DVDDirect) <www.dvddirect.ie/faq.html>
- UK (DVD Guide) <184.108.40.206/DVDGuide/faq.htm>
- Austria (dvd.at); <www.pro.at/dvd/facts/fact15a.htm>
- South Africa (DVDSA) <www.theshoppingmatrix.com/dvd/faq.asp>
Fujitsu supposedly released the first DVD-ROM-equipped computer on Nov. 6 in
Japan. Toshiba released a DVD-ROM-equipped computer and a DVD-ROM drive in Japan
in early 1997 (moved back from December which was moved back from November).
DVD-ROM drives from Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi, and Sony began
appearing in sample quantities as early as January 1997, but none were to be
available before May. Creative Labs' PC-DVD upgrade kit (Matsushita drive and
A/V decoder board; Warner DVD-V sampler) went on sale in the U.S. in April 1997
for $500. Samsung drives (and PCs with drives) were available in Korea in
January. Hi-Val's $799 PC-DVD upgrade kit (Toshiba drive, Quadrant decoder; 6
DVD-ROMS including Silent Steel, Daedalus Encounter, and Xiphias Encyclopedia
Electronica) became available in May 1997, as did Diamond Multimedia's $599 kit.
STB Systems DVD Theater Upgrade Kit was be available in July for $699. DynaTek
announced a $649 upgrade kit with 6 titles. Toshiba's Infinia DVD-ROM-equipped
PC become available Summer 1997. Upgrade kits from Creative and and others are
available for under $100. Hi-Val's 2nd-generation kit is $380. E4's CoolDVD
upgrade kit for Macintoshes became available for $499 in July 1998. Sigma
Designs also makes playback cards.
For drive details see
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/video/dvd/. WebShopper has a good
report (dated Sep 16, 1998).
Sooner than you thought. The DVD Forum has announced that the new
high-density, high-definition version of DVD using blue lasers will be ready,
before expected, by the end of this year. HDHDDVD, as some are calling it, will
make existing DVD players obsolete, since it's new and cool. DVD scientists
apparently have had great success licensing Crayola technology for coloring
existing lasers rather than using expensive new Trillium-Arsenic lasers. In
addition to holding more data, the new DVD discs will provide high-definition
video for movie-quality viewing on any TV set. Surprisingly, the DVD Forum chose
Project Mayo compression technology for
HDHDDVD. Apparently they decided that Jack Valenti of the MPAA was right when he
predicted that it would be used to send movies at the speed of light to 6
billion people. How could that many people be wrong? So if you already have an
ancient DVD player with red lasers and aging MPEG-2 video, start saving now to
[Question added April 1, 2001]
Panasonic announced a DVD-R(G)/DVD-RAM combo drive (known as the RAMbo drive)
in June 2001 for under $600, and a home DVD-R/RAM video recorder that will be
available in October 2001 for $1,500. VivaStar, Sharp, and others plan to
release DVD-R(G) recorders in 2001.
Pioneer released a third generation of its DVD-RW recorder in Japan in June
2001 for about 198,000 yen (about $1,500). The new model may be released in the
U.S. and elsewhere around the end of 2001 or sometime in 2002. Sharp announced a
$2,200 DVD-RW recorder, and Zenith (LG) announced a $2,000 DVD-RW recorder, but
neither appeared at the end of 2000 as expected. Sharp expects to have a DVD-RW
video recorder that costs less than $1,000 by March 2002.
TV One announced a DVD-RW video recorder for
July 2001 at $3,500 that can also create Video CD discs. Sony will ship a DVD-RW
video recorder in Japan in September 2001 for 220,000 yen (about $2,000).
- Creative Technology:
PC-DVD Encore Dxr3, Sigma EM8300 chip (no DirectShow yet)
PC-DVD Encore Dxr2, C-Cube chip (DirectShow, Win2000)
- Digital Connection:
3DFusion, Mpact2 chip (DirectShow)
- Digital Voodoo: D1
Desktop 64, Digital Voodoo chip (professional, QuickTime)
- E4 (Elecede): Cool DVD, C-Cube chip
(E4 has gone out of business)
- IBM: ThinkPad
laptops, IBM chip (DirectShow)
- LeadTek: WinFast 3D S800,
Mpact2 chip (DirectShow)
- Luxsonor: decoders in Dell PCs, C-Cube chip (DirectShow)
- Margi: DVD-to-Go, ZV PC card for
laptops (DirectShow, Win2000)
- Ravisent: Hardware Cinemaster,
C-Cube chip (DirectShow)
- Philips Electronics: PCDV632,
PCVD104 (K series come with Sigma Hollywood card, R
series come with software decoder) (DirectShow)
- Samsung: Revolution,
Samsung SD 606 6x, Sigma Hollywood Plus card (DirectShow)
- Sigma Designs: Hollywood
series, Sigma EM8300 chip (no DirectShow yet)
- STB: DVD Theater, Mpact2 chip
- Stradis: Stradis Professional
MPEG-2 Decoder, IBM chip (professional, no DirectShow)
- Toshiba: Tecra laptops,
C-Cube chip (DirectShow)
- Vela Research: CineView Pro
(professional, no DirectShow)
All but the Sigma Designs decoder (including Creative Dxr3) have WDM drivers
for DirectShow. The Sigma Designs decoder card is used in hardware upgrade kits
from Hitachi, HiVal, Panasonic, Phillips,
Sony, Toshiba, and VideoLogic. The advantage of hardware decoders is that they
don't eat up CPU processing power, and they often produce better quality video
than software decoders. The Chromatic Mpact2 chip does 3-field analysis to
produce exceptional progressive-scan video from DVDs (unfortunately, Chromatic
was bought by ATI and the chip is no longer supported, although some of the
technology is now in ATI's Radeon).